Sunday 15 September 2019

THE REMEMBRANCE OF THE LORD

THE REMEMBRANCE OF THE LORD


Bible Reading: Luke 22:19,20; I Corinthians 11:17-34.


Aim: To show what we remember the Lord Jesus for.


Introduction: Three reasons or purposes for having the Lord’s Table are:


a) To remember the Lord. (I Corinthians 11:24).

b) To show the Lord’s death till He come. (I Corinthians 11:26).

This declares our belief in the promise of Christ’s return.

c) To promote self-examination before partaking. (I Corinthians 11:27-32).

At the Lord’s Supper, we go primarily to meet Him, not just to hear about Him. We need personal encounters with the Lord as we pour out our heart’s worship and affection to Him.


What Do We Need To Remember About Jesus Christ?

1) Remember His NAME: ‘Whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus.’ (Colossians 3:17). ‘Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we will remember the NAME of the LORD our God.’ (Psalm 20:7).

One’s name denotes one’s character. ‘Thou shalt call his name Jesus, for he shall save his people from their sins.’ (Matthew 1:21). The name ‘Jesus’ means ‘Jehovah the Saviour’. See Isaiah 9:6; Philippians 2:9-11; John 20:31; Romans 10:13.

We have salvation only in Jesus Christ’s name. (Acts 4:10-12).

2) Remember His WORKS: ‘Remember his marvellous works that he hath done.’ (I Chron. 16:12).

We should think of Christ’s work in:

a) Creation: ‘For by him were all things created.’ (Colossians 1:16; Hebrews 1:10).

b) Healing: ‘When John had heard in prison the works of Christ, the blind receive their sight, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the gospel preached unto them.’ (Matthew 11:2,5).

c) Salvation: ‘He said, It is finished.’ (John 19:30).

d) Ministry: ‘I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.’ (John 17:4).

‘My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.’ (John 4:34).

How thoroughly the Lord Jesus committed and devoted Himself to his Father’s work.

3) Remember His LOVE: ‘We will remember thy love more than wine.’ (Song 1:4).

‘To know the love of Christ which passeth knowledge.’ (Ephesians 3:19).

‘Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?’ (Romans 8:35).

‘Love one another as I have loved you. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.’ (John 15:12,13). As we think of His love for us, we will be thankful and respond in worship, love and obedience. John 3:16; I John 3:16: I John 3:1; II Corinthians 5:14.
‘Love so amazing, so divine, demands my soul, my life, my all.’

It was Christ’s love for us, not nails, that kept Him on the Cross.

4) Remember His AFFLICTION: ‘Remembering mine affliction and my misery, the wormwood and the gall.’ (Lamentations 3:19). See Matthew 27:34.

During the Lord’s Supper we must remember Jesus Christ’s suffering &affliction for us such as:

i) ‘They pierced my hands and my feet.’ (Psalm 22:16).

ii) ‘All my bones are out of joint.’ (Psalm 22:14).

iii) ‘My tongue cleaveth to my jaws.’ (Psalm 22:15).

iv) ‘He was oppressed, and he was afflicted.’ (Isaiah 53:7).

v) ‘They platted a crown of thorns, and put it about his head.’ (Mark 15:17).

vi) ‘They smote him on the head with a reed, and did spit upon him.’ (Mark 15:19).

vii) ‘They mocked him.’ (v.20); ‘they crucified him.’ (v.25). (Isaiah 50:6).

5) Remember His RESURRECTION and EXALTATION:

‘Remember that Jesus Christ . . . was raised from the dead.’ (II Timothy 2:8).

‘That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection.’ (Philippians 3:10).

In the Lord’s Supper we not only remember Jesus Christ who suffered, bled and died, but also Jesus Christ as the One who rose from the dead and now lives in the power of an endless life. He is our Great High Priest who ever lives to make intercession for us.

6) Remember His MERCIES: ‘I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever.’ (Psalm 89:1). ‘Remember (v.11) . . . ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.’ (Ephesians 2:1-13). ‘It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not . . .’ (Lamentations 3:22,23).

Remember the black days of sin and of what we have been saved from.

Remember the kindness and love of Christ to us.

7) Remember His WORDS: ‘Remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ (Acts 20:35).

We ought to be a giving people; giving of our time, prayers, love, money.

Let us memorise Christ’s words: ‘Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly.’ (Colossians 3:16). ‘Thy words were found and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of my heart . . .’ (Jeremiah 15:16).

Conclusion: As we come together to the Lord’s Table, let our memories recall Jesus
Christ’s name, works, love, afflictions, resurrection, mercies and His words.